The Gandantegchinlen Monastery (Mongolian: Гандантэгчинлэн хийд, Gandantegchinlen Khiid short Name: Gandan Mongolian: Гандан, Chinese: 甘丹寺, Gāndān Temple), is a Tibetan-style Monastery in the Mongolian capital of Ulaanbaatar that has been restored and revitalized since 1990.
Only one wooden pillar remains from this temple.
The 13th Dalai Lama stayed in this residence in 1904.
In the 1930s, the Communist government of Mongolia, under the Leadership of Khorloogiin Choibalsan and under the influence of Joseph Stalin, destroyed all but a few Monasteries and killed more than 15,000 lamas.
Gandantegchinlen Khiid Monastery, having escaped this mass destruction, was closed in 1938, but then reopened in 1944 and allowed to continue as the only functioning Buddhist Monastery, under a skeleton Staff, as a token homage to traditional Mongolian culture and Religion. With the end of Marxism in Mongolia in 1990, restrictions on worship were lifted.
The original statue, made of copper, was built after appeals to the Mongolian public; its intent was to restore the sight of Bogd Javzandamba (or the eighth Jebtsundamba, also known as Bogd Khan), who had claimed the title of Emperor of Mongolia.
Russian troops dismantled the original statue in 1938.