The head temple of the Kencho-ji branch of the Rinzai school of Zen, located in Kamakura in Japan, regarded as the first in rank among the Five Temples of Kamakura. In 1249 Hojo Tokiyori, the fifth regent of the Kamakura shogunate, sponsored its construction. Upon its completion in 1253, Tokiyori invited Doryu(Chin Tao-lung), a priest from China, to be its first chief priest. Mugaku Sogen (Wu-hsyeh Tsu-yüan), another priest from China, also resided there.
See also Five Temples.