Sakyadhita International Association of Buddhist Women
Sakyadhita International Association of Buddhist Women is an 501(c)3 non-profit organisation founded in 1987 at the conclusion of its first conference and registered in California,
United States of America in 1988.
Sakyadhita holds an international conference every two years; bringing together laypersons and nuns from different countries and traditions around the world.
The association was founded in 1988. Sakyadhita is an alliance of women and men founded at the conclusion of the first International Conference on Buddhist Women, held in Bodhgaya, India, in 1987 where the 14th Dalai Lama was the keynote speaker.
The term sakyadhita, means 'daughters of the Buddha' and was first used at the conference.
The initiative for creating the association came from Ayya Khema, Karma Lekshe Tsomo, Chatsumarn Kabilsingh and Jampa Tsedroen.
Currently, the international association, which has local chapters in several countries, has almost 2000 members in 45 countries around the world.
An international conference is held every two years.
The conference brings together laypersons and nuns from different countries and traditions, to share their experiences, research, and to encourage projects to improve conditions for Buddhist women—especially in developing countries.
Since 1987, Sakyadhita has held twelve international conferences on Buddhist women in Asia and three in North America.
The conferences feature papers, workshops, and performances on topics relevant to Buddhist women.
The global gatherings are open to all, regardless of gender, ethnicity, or religion.
- 1987 Bodhgaya, India, "Buddhist Nuns in Society", Keynote by HH. the 14th Dalai Lama
- 1991 Bangkok, Thailand “Buddhist Women in the Modern World”, Keynote by Chancellor of Thammasat University
- 1993 Colombo, Sri Lanka, “Buddhist Women in Modern Society”, Keynote by the President of Sri Lanka
- 1995 Ladakh,India, “Women and the Power of Compassion: Survival in the 21st Century”, Keynote by H.M. Rani Sarla, Queen of ::Ladakh
- 1997-1998 Phnom Penh, Cambodia, “Women in Buddhism: Unity and Diversity”, Keynote by H.M. Queen Norodom Siranouk, Queen of ::Cambodia
- 2002 Taipei, Taiwan, “Bridging Worlds”, Keynote by Annette Shu-lien Lu, Vice President of the Republic of China
- 2004 Seoul, South Korea, “Discipline and Practice of Buddhist Women Past and Present”, Keynote by Kwangwoo Sunim, Anne ::Carolyn Klein, Paula Arai
- 2006 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, “Buddhist Women in a Global Multicultural Community”, Keynote by Sharon Suh
- 2008 Ulaanbataar, Mongolia, “Buddhism in Transition: Tradition, Changes, and Challenges″, Keynote by Shundo Aoyama and ::Myeong Seong Sunim
- 2009 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, “Eminent Buddhist Women”, Keynote by C. Julia Huang
- 2011 Bangkok, Thailand, “Leading to Liberation”, Keynote by Princess Srirasmi of Thailand
- 2013 Vaishali, India, “Buddhism at the Grassroots”
- 1988 Santa Barbara, California, “Buddhism Through American Women’s Eyes”
- 1996 Claremont, California, “Unity and Diversity”
- 2005 Northampton, Massachusettes, “Women Practicing Buddhism: American Experiences”
Sakyadhita has published an annual newsletter since 1990.
Wikipedia:Sakyadhita International Association of Buddhist Women