Namkha Khyung Dzong
The original Namkha Khyung Dzong monastery was established in 1906 when Degyal Rinpoche a close disciple of Dudjom Lingpa, visited the source of Macha Khabab (one of the four major rivers of Tibet) in Rigung, Ngari and named the monastery as
Namkha Khyung Dzong. Most of Degyal Rinpoche’s numerous disciples and minor branch monasteries were located in the Ngari region of Tibet, Ladakh and Piti in India, Humla, Karmarong, Dolpo and Mustang etc. in the Himalayan region of Nepal.
Soon after, the Second Degyal Rinpoche had a great wish to rebuild the Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery in the Ngari region or in Humla across the border. However, because of his health and lack of resources, he could not accomplish his wish.
In 1985, due to the aspirations of the Second Degyal Rinpoche and the encouragement and guidance from Tsokhang Choktrul Tsewang Dorje, Tulku Pema Rigtsal began establishing the Namkha Khyung Dzong Monastery in the remote region of Humla, in Nepal.