1. a person who is connected with another or others by blood or marriage.
2. something having, or standing in, some relation to something else.
3. something dependent upon external conditions for its specific nature, size, etc. (opposed to absolute ).
4. Grammar . a relative pronoun, adjective, or adverb. adjective
5. considered in relation to something else; comparative: the relative merits of democracy and monarchy.
6. existing or having its specific nature only by relation to something else; not absolute or independent: Happiness is relative.
7. having relation or connection.
8. having reference or regard; relevant; pertinent (usually followed by to ): to determine the facts relative to an accident.
9. correspondent; proportionate: Value is relative to demand.