The head temple of the Kennin-ji branch of the Rinzai school of Zen, located in Kyoto, Japan. This temple is regarded as one of the Five Temples of Kyoto. Eisai founded it in 1202 after being commissioned to do so by the shogun Minamoto no Yoriie. Although Kennin-ji was the first Zen temple in Kyoto, the doctrines of the Tendai and True Word (Shingon) schools were also taught there because of pressure from these older schools. After staying thirteen years at Kencho-ji temple in Kamakura, in 1265 Doryu(Chin Tao-lung), a priest originally from China, took up residence at Kennin-ji as its eleventh chief priest. From that time on it was used exclusively for Zen practice.
See also; Five Temples